If Siri sounds weird, you might be dealing with a random glitch. You should be able to take care of it by restarting your phone.
The problem can also come up due to an outdated iOS version. Downloading the latest OS version will help.
Although I haven’t faced the Siri sounds muffled issue in a while, it used to pop up a couple of months ago. I figured that it was due to an outdated software version.
I not only explained how I fixed this but some additional solutions that will help.
- Diagnose And Fix Guided Access Not Working On iPhone
- Fixing iPhone Hotspot Keeps Disconnecting: 6 Easy Solutions
- How To Enable “Sharing Focus Status” On iPhone
Why Does my Siri Sound Weird?
There are many reasons why Siri’s voice may sound weird, and I’ve taken a look at them below.
Let’s get to it.
1. Compacted Speakers
The issue might be due to dust being stuck inside your speakers. If this is what you’re dealing with, other audio files and music would sound strange too. Grab some alcohol wipes and give your speakers a clean.
2. Low Storage Space
There’s a chance that Siri is acting up because your storage space is low. Free up some space by deleting all the old files and apps that you don’t use anymore.
To delete third-party apps:
- Find and click on the app you want to get rid of from the home screen
- Long-press it
- Click on the Delete App button
- Tap Delete to confirm
To delete files:
- Go to the Files app
- Go to the folder the file is in
- Hold the file down and click delete
3. Low Battery Life
If your phone’s battery is low, Siri’s voice will sound weird. This is especially the case if you’ve switched low power mode on. All your apps and processes will stop working properly.
To turn off low power mode:
- Click on the Settings option from the home screen
- Go to Battery
- Toggle the Power Mode button off
Now Open Siri and see if she sounds natural.
4. Faulty Virtual Assistant Settings
There’s a chance that your voice settings are faulty and acting up. You may have accidentally meddled with them and forgotten to change them back.
Here’s how you fix this:
- Open Settings > Siri & Search > Siri Voice options
- Go through the multiple voice options, and choose the voice you want as your preference (there are at least six accents to choose)
- Save to get rid of the old settings
5. Software Glitch
Software glitches can be responsible sometimes. You should be able to take care of this by switching your iPhone off and then back on again.
If this doesn’t work, you might have to force restart. It’s like a regular reboot but more comprehensive – it’s the best way to take care of software problems that are more stubborn.
To force-restart iPhone models that come with Face ID, as well as the 8 and SE 2 and 3:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons
- Long-hold the Side Button, then let go when you see the Apple logo
On the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus:
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously, then release them when the Apple logo appears
On the iPhone 6 and SE 1st gen:
- Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously, then let go when you see the Apple logo screen pop up
6. Software Bug
Siri’s voice can sound weird if you’re using a buggy iOS version. To fix this, download the latest iOS update.
Just make sure that you have a stable internet connection first, as the download can take forever.
Here’s how you update from your phone settings:
- Go to Settings, and select General
- Tap Software Update
- Click on the Install Now option
- Wait for the new firmware to install
To download iOS updates from iTunes:
- Plug your iPhone into your computer
- Launch the latest iTunes version
- Close any files that are running
- Select the Device button
- Head to the Summary section
- Tap on the Download and Update button
- Enter your Apple ID password if you are prompted
7. Stubborn Software Problem
Instead of a minor glitch or bug, you might be dealing with a major software problem. Many users have been able to fix this by factory-resetting and restoring their factory settings
Essentially, this would clear your operating system to get rid of the issue.
As you can imagine, all your data would be cleared if you go this route. Remember to back up your files first.
To backup your data:
- Go to Settings
- Click on [your name]
- Select iCloud
- Tap on the iCloud Backup button
- Select Backup Now
To factory reset afterward:
- Open the Settings app, and then click on General
- Go to Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Tap on Erase All Content & Settings
- Enter your Apple ID to confirm the change
Now all you do is wait for the reset to be done. Your device should switch back on if the reset was successful – you don’t have to switch the Power button on or anything – it will happen automatically. Hopefully, the Siri issue will be gone.
8. Hardware Problem
Last but not least, your speakers might be damaged. You may have damaged them. Depending on your warranty, you should be able to get this fixed for free.
Answered below are some popular questions.
Why does Siri sound muffled on my iPhone?
There are many reasons why Siri sounds robotic or weird, and they include:
- You may hear a muffled voice as there is dust or muck in your speaker grills. All you need to do to fix Siri’s voice is to clean the grill with a cloth and some rubbing alcohol.
- Siri’s original voice can change when using an outdated iOS version. Download the latest firmware on your Apple device to take care of this.
- Because of a software glitch, you might be dealing with muffled audio (or even a robotic voice). iPhone users can easily fix this with a restart. If Siri speaks differently still, try a force-reboot.
- Low power mode can make Siri’s voice change and sound weird. All you need to do to disable low power mode is head to your iPhone’s settings. You can also put your Apple device to charge.
- You may have meddled with Siri’s voice settings and forgotten to change them.
- The problem could also be due to a more stubborn software problem. You might be able to take care of it by factory resetting. Just remember that all your data will be lost, so remember to back up your files beforehand.
There are many reasons why Siri’s default voice sounds weird. Usually, this is due to software glitches. A simple restart should help.
At the same time, it could be due to other minor issues, like not having enough storage, your speakers being compacted, or low power mode is turned on.
Hopefully you found all the points mentioned useful and managed to get the digital assistant running again.