Who hasn’t hopped on Instagram for some light scroll-and-chill time only to encounter a hiccup like the voice message not playing or sending? This issue can be really frustrating, but don’t worry. In the following post, I’ve listed all the ways you can fix this problem of your Instagram voice messages not playing or sending on your iPhone.
Update Your Instagram App
The reason your Instagram voice messages are not playing or sending may be due to your app needing to be updated. Keeping your Instagram app up to date will make it less likely for internal bugs to stop Instagram from working correctly.
To update your Instagram App on your iPhone:
- Open up the App Store app.
- Tap Updates at the bottom of the screen.
- If there is an available update for Instagram, you will see it in the list presented to you. Tap Update to download the latest update for Instagram. Alternatively, you can tap Update All to update every app on the list, including Instagram.
Make Sure Your Microphone Is Enabled
Your microphone must be allowed access in order for you to record audio on Instagram. At one point, you may have accidentally denied Instagram access, causing this issue.
You can easily do this by:
- Open up the Settings app.
- Scroll down until you find the Instagram icon. Tap on it to open up the settings for the app.
- For Allow Instagram To Access, make sure the switch for Microphone is toggled on.
- Why Is The Shared Album Not Updating And How To Fix It
- TikTok Not Working On iPhone? Try These 7 Fixes.
- How To Go Live on TikTok on iPhone With Easy To Follow Steps
Another setting often overlooked by iOS users experiencing issues sending or playing voice messages on Instagram is the Screen Time settings.
Basically, this setting controls the Instagram app’s ability to access your device’s microphone. Under the Screen Time settings, you’ll see the Content & Privacy Restrictions, which, if misconfigured, can prevent the app from accessing your device’s microphone.
To check your Screen Time settings for Instagram:
- Open up the Settings app.
- Tap Screen Time, found toward the middle of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- If Content & Privacy Restrictions is toggled on, then tap Microphone.
- In the Microphone settings, make sure that Instagram is toggled on.
Check The Status Of Instagram
In many cases, it’s our devices that are to blame, but in some cases, the problem could be more global. Instagram could be out of commission or experiencing server-side issues.
Your voice message may not be working or sending because Instagram is temporarily down. To check this:
- Visit Downdetctor.
- Type Instagram in the search bar at the top of the page.
- If there is a problem with the network, you will see it presented to you here. You will also see a graph outlining the last 24 hours for the Instagram servers.
Reset Your Network Settings
It’s possible that your network is the culprit causing Instagram’s voice messages to not work on your iPhone. To deal with network issues, you can reset your Network Settings. Keep in mind once you do this, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN settings, and APN settings will be erased.
To reset your network settings on your iPhone:
- Open up the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll all the way down and tap Reset.
- When given the choice, tap Reset Network Settings.
Sign Out, Then Back Into Instagram
Sometimes internal bugs will create problems for the Instagram service itself, including the problem you’re facing now.
One of the best ways to clear out these bugs is to sign out of Instagram and then sign back in. This will essentially reset your Instagram service. To do this:
- First, open the Instagram app on your iPhone and find the Profile tab at the bottom right.
- Then, tap the three horizontal lines at the top right of this page and select Settings.
- Under General, you’ll see an option labeled Log Out at the bottom. Tap this option to log out of your account.
- To sign back in, simply enter your username and password in the login fields just as normal.
Check Your Internet Connection
Without a stable and sufficient Internet connection, you will not be able to send or load Instagram messages. If your Internet connection is weak or keeps disconnecting, this could affect the messages you’re trying to send or listen to.
To ensure the best possible experience with Instagram voice messages, make sure to have a strong and stable Internet connection. Make sure your WiFi is enabled if WiFi is available. Check with your network service provider if you consistently experience slow internet speeds or disconnection issues.
You can also check your internet speed at Fast.com. If you are experiencing major dips in performance, you may have to find another Wifi connection.
Reboot Your iPhone To Fix Instagram Voice Messages
If nothing else has worked so far, it’s likely that you will need to reboot your iPhone.
Rebooting your iPhone is different for each generation, but if you own a newer iPhone, you can reboot it by:
- Press and hold the Side Button on the side of your device until you see the slide to power off option.
- Drag this slider and wait for your phone to shut down.
- To turn it back on again, simply press and hold the Side Button until you see the Apple logo appear on your device’s screen.
If you have an iPhone that has a Home Button, click here to learn how to reboot it.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to troubleshoot the issue of your Instagram voice message not playing. Make sure your microphone is enabled and your Screen Time settings are configured correctly.
You also want to make sure your internet connection is good and that the connection from Instagram itself is good. If all else fails, try rebooting your phone as well.